|The Pacific Ocean at Cape Lookout, by pzavit.|
This is the proposed route. This is not an easy jaunt, as the entire route is approximately 220 miles over four days. This is the basic outline of the tour:
- Fri Aug 31:Stub Stewart State Park, 25 miles from Hatfield MAX in Hillsboro. Riders would be responsible for getting out to Stub Stewart on their own (after work), there will be no "official" ride out there.
- Sat Sept 1: camping behind a residence in Wheeler, approx 75-80 miles, using the Nehalem River Road for a good half of it, which is mostly gravel.
- Sun Sept 2: The Short Day. To Cape Lookout, approx 35 miles.
- Mon Sept 3: Back home. The main way would be over Cape Lookout and via Nestucca River Road, about 85 miles. There is about a two mile section of dirt/gravel on the Nestucca River Road. If people have an extra day off, it could be broken into two segments, with camping at the BLM campsites along the Nestucca River. Those who want a shorter, faster way back can use Route 6/8 back to Hillsboro, about 70 miles with moderate-to-heavy traffic.
- Cycle Wild will be going to places we haven't been to before, using routes they haven't used before.
- The places to camp are destinations where one wouldn't have to worry about it being a busy holiday weekend: Stub Stewart's walk-in sites shouldn't be too bad on Friday, someone's house on Saturday, Cape Lookout has hiker/biker sites for Sunday, and if people choose to camp on Monday night, the BLM sites on the Nestucca River Road will be quiet.
- Quiet, little used roads to and from the coast.
- Minimizes 101 riding to the sections between Garibaldi and Tillamook (about 10 miles) and a section around Beaver (5 miles)
- Sat Sept 1: Ride from Hillsboro MAX to Cape Lookout via Routes 8/6 (70 miles)
- Sun Sept 2: Off Day at Cape Lookout
- Mon Sept 3: Ride back to Hillsbor via Routes 6/8 (70 miles)
What are your thoughts? Would you like to do the Coast Tour? Would the out-and-back to Cape Lookout be better for you?