NOTE 23 January 2014: New posts are no longer posted to this blog. New stuff at my new blog, Please go there! All old and new posts are there, and you can also comment, too!

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Random bike stuff on None More Black Friday

Flickr/Wikipedia, Joe Goldberg
Black Friday came and went. I did indeed work at the hostel, though I never went to that Bollywood party. Alas.

At the hostel I managed to find this:
I did also find that awesome hemp satchel with the image of a very Euro utility bike at the Hostel , but we'll be talking about the light here.

I lost this Portland Design Works Radbot 500 rear light sometime before I quit the hostel and took off for the crazy Cross-Continent bike adventure. Nowadays having another battery powered blinky light isn't that big of a deal since both my primary bikes, the Raleigh Wayfarer and Surly Long Haul Trucker, have front and rear dynamo powered lamps. But I like having backup blinkies, just in case something happens to a rear light or I really feel like I need the extra "oomph". 

On the way back to "the house" I swung by Clever Cycles. And...I bought some stuff. Yes, I know that it's "Buy Nothing Day". Does this make me a bad leftist or something? Anyways...I found these in their "Bakfiets of Bargains":*

A dynamo powered headlamp and taillamp, made by Basta/AXA, a renowned European bike parts company. And for $2 each. Sweet! The catch is these lights are halogen, not LED, hence the sooper-dooper discounted price. (As I was perusing the "Bakfiets of Bargains", Todd, one of the owners walked by and exclaimed, "Halogen is dead!") As far as Todd and I can tell the headlamp does have an LED standlight, as the package indicates there are two LED "safety" lights between the bulb and reflector. I figure we can use these lights on April's Raleigh Sports when we install the dynohub front wheel. I might also pick up an extra headlamp as backup for one of my dyno-powered bikes, in case one gets broken or a tweaker somehow yanks one.** For two bucks you can't go wrong. And now you know where you can get ridiculously cheap halogen dynamo lamps.
(I also picked up a pair of wool undies for ridiculously cheap, but that's a different story.)

And when I got back to "the house" I found this scene in the kitchen:
Why yes that is a Moka Pot in the background!

Our room-mate Donna was "baking" her Brooks. She just got a new Brooks B67 saddle to replace her worn out old one, and decided to expedite the breaking-in process by putting a bunch of Proofide on it and sticking it in the oven for a couple hours. Non-standard, yes. I'm assuming it's also "kosher", because if it wasn't, Mr. Raving Bike Fiend, aka "her husband" would have said something.

Yes, we are bike crazy round these parts.

*Yes, they actually do have a bakfiets filled with bargain-priced items. Alas, I did not take a photo of it.
**I've heard of at least one tweaker attempting to do that here in Portland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm no longer allowing new comments on this blog. You can comment on the exact same post on the new blog. Go find it over at

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.