NOTE 23 January 2014: New posts are no longer posted to this blog. New stuff at my new blog, Please go there! All old and new posts are there, and you can also comment, too!

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Joining the Clubs

I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member. 
-Groucho Marx

While I'm not as anti-group as Groucho, I don't belong to many organizations. In the bicycling sphere of things, the only organization that I've belonged to is the Adventure Cycling Association.* and ** Until recently.

On Monday I got my membership packet from the Rough-Stuff Fellowship. I wrote about this UK-based off-road bicycle organization a few weeks back. The concept intrigued me so much, I decided to spring for a one-year membership!

Inside the envelope was my membership card, a handful of stickers, two patches (or as they referred to them, "embroidered badges") and a metal pin (badge.) Also included was the latest issue of the Rough-Stuff Journal (I'll be getting a year's subscription as part of the membership) and a booklet of the early history of the organization.

It may be a bit...silly for me to be a member of an organization in a country thousands of miles away, but so what?

Well then, how about a club where location isn't a prime factor? Last week I received another packet, the membership kit for the mysterious Talik Saleh Bike Club.

The kit came with a couple stickers, five buttons, and the rules of the club, which are described thusly:
  1. Ride bikes 
  2. Try not to be an ass 
Man, I really hope to live up to the second rule.

*I guess you can still say I am a Zoobomber due to the "once a Zoobomber, always a Zoobomber" rule.
**Outside of bicycles, I've been a regular member of the National Association of Railroad Passengers, Hostelling International, and of course, the Independent Publishing Resource Center.


I'm no longer allowing new comments on this blog. You can comment on the exact same post on the new blog. Go find it over at

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.