THIS BLOG IS DEAD.

NOTE 23 January 2014: New posts are no longer posted to this blog. New stuff at my new blog, http://urbanadventureleague.wordpress.com/ Please go there! All old and new posts are there, and you can also comment, too!

Sunday, November 17, 2013

For Sale: My Surly Long Haul Trucker

Hello friends. Yes, I am selling my Long Haul Trucker. I'll get into details about that in a subsequent post this week. For now, here are the details:

It's time to part with my beloved bicycle. After 5 1/2 years of service, I'm looking for a good home and a willing rider for my Surly Long Haul Trucker. I purchased the fork and frame in the spring of 2008. The frame size is 56 cm, the smallest size that would accept 700C tires for that year. The color is "utility blue". And the steer tube has never been cut!

The Long Haul Trucker has quite the reputation as a touring bike, and after putting tens of thousands of miles on it over many a tour, I can certainly agree. And she makes a good commuter too, especially in its current configuration with fenders, a front rack, and dynamo lighting. Yes, dynamo lighting! You'll have lights available, all the time, without the worry about recharging or replacing batteries.

This Long Haul Trucker currently sports:

  • Sugino XD 500T triple crankset (46x36x24) 
  • Wellgo "sneaker" pedals
  • 13-34 seven-speed rear cassette
  • Shimano bar-end shifters
  • Shimano Alivio rear derailleur
  • Shimano Sora front derailleur
  • Velo Orange hammered fenders
  • Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard 700x35C (35-622) tires with ample life in them
  • Shimano linear-pull brakes
  • Tektro brake levers
  • Nitto "Grand Roundonneur" (sic) alloy drop handlebars (wrapped with shellacked cork tape)
  • Crane brass bell
  • Hand-built rear wheel with Shimano Deore hub and Sunrims Rhyno Lite rim
  • Pre-built dynohub front wheel: Alex XCE 500 double wall black rim with Shimano DH3D30 dynamo hub
  • Spanninga front LED headlight (not pictured in ad)
  • Spanninga rear LED taillight (this light is currently not working, needs re-wiring)
  • Jandd Extreme front rack 


As said above, I've done a lot of touring on this bike so the frame shows obvious scratches and dings. Overall, the bike is structurally sound and the paint still decent.

I'm hoping that the future owner of this beauty will go on many adventures with her. Will this be you?

Bike available for viewing and test-riding around SE Hawthorne in Portland Oregon. I really would prefer local pickup but would consider shipping (buyer pays for all shipping and handling costs.) I estimate that it would be in the neighborhood of $150 for that.

More info about the frameset here.

$895 or reasonable offer. Email me if you are interested.