NOTE 23 January 2014: New posts are no longer posted to this blog. New stuff at my new blog, Please go there! All old and new posts are there, and you can also comment, too!

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Coffeeneuring Ride #6: Phoning it in?

With any “challenge” longer than a few weeks, it seems inevitable that enthusiasm will dwindle after those first few weeks. I came out of the gate all fired up, accomplishing four “Coffee Outside” adventures in a row. But now I have less time and more stuff on my plate. It’s getting harder and harder to squeeze in a true Coffeeneuring Ride, at least under the parameters of the rules Mary set up. She was very gracious in granting me an “exception” so I could do a ride after work last week for Coffeeneuring Ride #5, as I had no other real opportunity to do so.

But this past week? It was tough. I had two non-consecutive days off, Wednesday November 13 and Friday November 15. Wednesday was occupied with a day-long Bike Tourism Conference, so Friday would be the day, though that day was filling up with errands and such. I could pull off something, but it would be the bare minimum. It almost would feel like I was phoning it in, which is something I don’t like doing. 

Or could I just stop? Mary created an “Honorable Mention” category for those who started the Coffeeneuring Challenge but couldn’t finish for whatever reason. I thought about this for a moment, but hell, I’m already five weeks in on the seven week challenge. I can see the finish line in the distance. Just do one, Shawn, even if it is “phoning it in”.

So on Friday November 15 I rode my Raleigh Crested Butte from my house off SE Hawthorne three paltry miles to Speedboat Coffee on SE Foster Road. I got the house drip coffee, which was Stumptown’s Guatemala Finca el Injerto. It was good.

Tune in next week for my final coffeeneuring ride of this year’s challenge, where I hopefully won’t phone it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm no longer allowing new comments on this blog. You can comment on the exact same post on the new blog. Go find it over at

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.